Welcome to my world behind the scenes as I attempt to run a business with no idea what I am doing. I Love comments/ advice/opinions or just a quick G'day so please talk to me. I adore hearing/learning/chatting with you all so every comment is most welcome.!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Trash Talk Tuesday

Where I get to talk about the good or bad things people do with trash. Please email me if you have trash ideas or links you want me to post. Its all about, reuse, recycle, recreate, refashion yeah yeah, you know, all the RE words:) If your idea gets posted you will of course get the credit.

"A Chat with Elsie"

December-ish 2008
As Elsie and I walked along the path leading to the wood workers function room we chatted about my Trash Talk Tuesday and she thought she might have something interesting to add.

Now Elsie is no slouch when it comes to recycling, re using and such, and she has been quite a pro at it for some time, so much so that she has written a few articles for Grass Roots, sharing her wisdom and offering smart tips on various topics.

One such tip she shared with me was her habit of collecting her yarn left overs which she then turns into cushion inserts.She starts by sewing up a square measuring a standard cushion insert size with one end left open, sits it beside her knitting chair and whenever she has a scrap left over she plonks it in the bag.

Whilst the bag is in its collecting stage she can rummage around to find suitable scraps for small projects or repairs. Elsie says she continues to add to the bag until it is full and once it has reached sufficient bulk she sews the top up and voila she now has a new cushion insert.
Now for me the bag would take 10 years to fill if it were just knitting scraps but for Elsie I am sure she has a few pillow inserts by now because she is an exceptional knitter and contributes her knitted wares to charities all over the world and has done so for many years.

I am going to follow this example and use it for my embroidery and sewing scraps also which I am sure Elsie is already doing. I throw out so many small strands of embroidery cotton and little felt pieces that if I collected it for a year I would have a super soft cushion insert and a continuous supply of scrap threads.

Thank you Elsie for sharing that tip. Now I am passing it on to the blogosphere in the hope it will inspire others as it has inspired me

All the best and get trashy if you dare. Trash is the new black!



5 comments:

CurlyPops January 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Great tip!
I did a similar thing with fabric scraps and filled a little pillow for a dolls cradle for a friends little girl.

Anonymous,  January 8, 2009 at 4:08 AM  

Love your blog. In the good old days people used to recycle more. In today's age we throw away a lot of things. My nan used to use those plastic net fruit bags for making table and door mats! How creative...

Melanie January 8, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

CurlyPops - ahh yes, stuffing for toys and things associated with toys. Brilliant idea.

Sharon - Thank you :) I am intrigued by your nans use of fruit bags. Sounds very interesting.

Lavender January 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

"Trash is the new black!

LOL! Well said Melanie, well said!

Another fab suggestion, thanks for passing it along, Cheers!

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 11:30 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Watch this!

Blog Archive

About This Blog

Support This

Help Me Support This Cause
Widget_logo

Visitors

Super secret test link button

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP