Welcome to my world behind the scenes as I attempt to run a business with no idea what I am doing. I Love comments/ advice/opinions or just a quick G'day so please talk to me. I adore hearing/learning/chatting with you all so every comment is most welcome.!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Trash Talk on Plastic

I abhor plastic.



I cringe when I see packets that say individually wrapped, yes, more packaging, that's what we need right? Small tubs of yogurt, 12 little plastic bags of BBQ shapes in a big plastic bag and 6 packs of sugary water claiming to be juice in single serve plastic bottles..... STOP BUYING THEM.



I came across an article or two that I would like to share with you. They are worth a good read and although confronting to many, it is worth it to be more informed next time you go grocery shopping.

Please read this

Los Angeles Times opinion

Monday August 24th 2009
by Emily Monosson

Back to school with less plastic -- a teaching moment - My daughter and I recently made the annual back-to-school pilgrimage to the local big-box office store, and I am appalled. For me, the leathery smell of new shoes stirs sweet pangs marking those precious last days of summer; for my children, it likely will be the smell of vinyl and assorted plastics. More....


This following article is a less namby pamby approach with some really good "in your face" facts about plastic....read on and confront yourself with an issue that definately concerns you and me, all of us.


Rejecting the toxic plague
WAR ON PLASTIC
by Jan Lundberg Northern Californians Against Plastic

Here is a snippet of some interesting findings:

Clear plastic food wrap contains up to 30% DEHP [di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate]. This substance is also in intravenous blood bags. This poison was identified by the State of California for its Proposition 65 list of carcinogens and mutagens, but industry pressure got the listing weakened.

Triclosan, in plastics as well as antibacterial soaps, deodorants, toothpastes, cosmetics, and fabrics, is shown to cause health and environmental effects and compound antibiotic resistance. Researchers found that when sunlight is shined on triclosan in water and on fabric, a portion of triclosan is transformed into dioxin. More......


Maybe this week you could give up one of these things permanently and find a greener alternative.
I am up for the challenge, are you?

Take it easy guys
Melanie

6 comments:

Anonymous,  August 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

I am with you all the way on plastics and avoid them wherever possible. Our lovely planet is a terrarium once we've used up the resources used to make plastic they're gone for good. Plastic may be made so that it will break down but it will never return to what it was before we changed it.

Anonymous,  August 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

Oops, sorry Mrs. Nunde, forgot to sign that post. Elsie

littlechrissy August 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

I'm so feeling your anger at plastic. I'm always looking for ways to cut down on the amount of crap I throw out. I take reusable bags to the shops, put my fruit and veg in handmade mesh bags, all rubbish is now wrapped in newspaper, cling film has been replaced with those reusable lid thingys, and my Sigg water bottle has been my constant companion now for six years. Little things make a big difference.
Chris x

Baino August 26, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

But but but . . I can't stop using gladwrap unless I put stuff in plastic containers and they're plastic . . .I do avoid 'individually' wrapped stuff but then we're the original 'fresh food people'

Melanie August 27, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

Elsie - I think everyone has become so accustomed to using it without realizing the consequences. Hopefully if people like us make them aware they might stop and think when theyre at the supermarket. One can only hope.

littlechrissy - I have been tinkering with the mesh bags for my grocery line of products but always wished I could go one step further for a more degradable item. I havent been successful yet but fingers crossed.

Baino - baking paper or wax paperlunch wrap > plastic wrap. because I care about you I dont want you exposed to all of those dioxins lovvey.

tea with lucy August 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

When I walk down the aisles in the supermarket, all I see is mountains of land fill. Tins. Boxes. Plastic. . .which gets restocked day after day after day. All over the city. All over the country. All over the world.

Watch this!

About This Blog

Support This

Help Me Support This Cause
Widget_logo

Visitors

Super secret test link button

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP