Welcome to my world behind the scenes as I attempt to run a business with no idea what I am doing. I Love comments/ advice/opinions or just a quick G'day so please talk to me. I adore hearing/learning/chatting with you all so every comment is most welcome.!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tis the season for ....




Landfill
Oh I know, your thinking "here she is again, all up in my face about rubbish, bla bla bla"

Well yes, I am actually!

It's not just you, It's me. How many of us got our growing kids a new bike and will leave last years bike out for hard rubbish?
I did, numerous times. Not this year though because this year I am cleaning his old bike up and giving it away.
What about Christmas paper? Are you still using it? Shame on you.


Trees just like this were used to make that paper. Not this one in particular, but many like it. Oh I know, you have convinced yourself that your paper was made from an ugly tree no one liked that a man planted just for making paper and it was probably a horrible tree anyhow. But was it? I mean, really?
What are the alternatives? Fabric or 100% recycled paper. Reuse last years gift bags. Some of them are awesome and will last for years and years. Wrap items creatively in towels etc. You guys probably know a million ways to wrap paper free. Share with us your ideas please.

What about those plastic toys that last for a week before the cheap brittle plastic snaps. I saw so many Grandparents and parents at the cheap $2 shops buying these types of toys for thier kinds/grandkids. All they did was leave the kids with landfill long after the grandparents are gone.
How do I know this? Because I was there too buying stocking fillers and for the first time ever I said NO. There will be no plastic crap in my kids stockings this year. It was very successful and the stocking still bulged and this tradition will now continue. FOREVER

In light of all of this I have done a bit of googling and found some alternatives to landfill for the impending waste that will be a result from unwanted, outgrown or broken presents.


e- Cycled - a place to list unwanted furniture, books, appliances and what-nots.

The Big Aussie Swap   Planet Ark. Check this out and the rest of Planet Arks website for brilliant suggestions


Secondhand Shopping and swaps     - a collection of sites



What about mobile phones? Most mobile shops have a bin to put you old phone in. I know crazy Johns does.

And then there is good old do it yourself. For less than a buck post your unwanteds on eBay or the Trading Post.
Put a sign in your local Milk bars window or Supermarket noticeboard. Coles, IGA and Safeway still have the good old fashioned noticeboards.

For computer stuff try E-waste 1800 392 783                     

Our earth and it's inhabitants will be eternally grateful if we were to ponder our actions of this years purchases and change some of our habits because at this time of year the volume of waste to enter our rubbish dumps is staggeringly high.
Lets all be responsible and accountable and change that. Please?
Wishing you much peace during this time of celebration.
Cheers
Melanie


6 comments:

Lavender December 29, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

You tell 'em Sista! Im with you all the way! And I loathe those piles that start appearing all over just before christmas - its madness what some people toss...although there are a few enterprising folks who cruise the neighborhood with a trailer, and take what they can salvage to a local boot market - more power to them!
Have a great new year Melanie!

One pair of Hands December 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

We encourage the throw-away attitude in our kids. The op-shop is full of toys before Christmas, donated by parents (I suppose) getting rid of the old ones to make way for the new lot. Some children like to keep their toys. I loved it when Mum re-dressed my old doll for Christmas. A layette of new clothes for a favourite doll is a nice gift, home made, of course, from remnants picked up at the op-shop. It becomes a problem though, when only the latest electronic gyzmo will do. How to fix that is quite beyond me.

xxx December 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM  

Great post Melanie...

best wishes for the coming year

x Ribbon

Baino December 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Actually Mel it's worse. Paper is made from old growth woodchips. If only it was made from Paperbarks. We can grow them quickly. Yeh we recycle and I'm a great fan of gift bags. My sister gets the shits because I ask for them back once the present's opened. We've been using boxes a bit this year too. The last under the bed! Also, when we want to throw something out, we just stick it on the roadside and some savvy recycler comes and picks it up! Mind you not very practical if you live in the suburbs but I see it happening more often than not. Just wack a sign on it saying "Free" and someone will take it. Thanks for the links. Epic!

Favourite Vintage Finds December 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

Thank you for entering my giveaway. Wishing you much happiness in 2010.

One pair of Hands January 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

Stick it on the nature strip and hope somebody takes it. What a great idea. You could always bring it back in after a few days and save it for hard rubbish collection. I'm going to look up those beaut links now.

Watch this!

About This Blog

Support This

Help Me Support This Cause
Widget_logo

Visitors

Super secret test link button

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP