Welcome to my world behind the scenes as I attempt to run a business with no idea what I am doing. I Love comments/ advice/opinions or just a quick G'day so please talk to me. I adore hearing/learning/chatting with you all so every comment is most welcome.!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Saving children with my sewing skills

Yeah that's right. True story!
Today my son told me of a tragedy about his mate who was playing with another mate and he got his jacket pocket caught on something and ripped the top of  his pocket right off and some of the side. "Mum you gotta sew it up for him, his mum cant sew and she just bought it for him mum and she is gonna go CRAAAAZY Help him mum, he is really scared"
Now Im thinking, wow if she is that crazy I dont want to mess with his brand new jacket, what if she goes crazy on me? But then I thought on this...

Do you  remember when you did something wrong as a kid and you were filled with dread about telling your parents. It was probably something so silly but as a kid you think its the end of the world and you may as well just  pack your little running away from home suitcase and leave? Every kid dreads making their mum mad even though, and lets face it us mums are push overs, we never stay mad long.
So with that thought in mind I went out the back and sewed it up with invisible nylon thread so she doesn't notice a color difference, just in case there is a possibility she is crazy.

While I was out there I got productive to make up for yesterdays lull and made 4 more cotton dish clothes and tea towels. Total cost for them all $4.00 Now to sanitize them before use. Yep, I am feeling pretty pleased.

Then I got an idea. 
I have this stupid little machine that I paid 50 bucks for. I think you can buy them for 10 bucks now. It is complete rubbish to teach a kid to sew on and I am not throwing it out because, well, it cost me 50 bucks. Now I am dismantling all of the unwanted external moving parts and modifying the bobbin winder so that its not so chinsey(spelling). I have modified the cotton reel holder, not seen in picture and it now has a vintage bamboo chopstick attached to it to hold larger reels.

So today I feel like a bit of an extreme crafter. 
I saved a boy, saved money and saved a piece of junk from landfill. 
Yes, I am handy hear me Roar!!

Before I go a really important to me question.

Where can I buy large over locker reels/cones of pure cotton?

Cheers Girls

Melanie

6 comments:

A'isha March 11, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

You rock, saved the day...

I don't know where to buy those cone thread thingies, but i do remember in the years i could scoot around Melbourne in my lady of leisure years, a lot of textile factories that have a factory direct store would sell their unwanted cones. I don't think that's going to help you though. They were dirt cheap but you could.t rely on supply, colour or type.

A'isha

CurlyPops March 11, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

Wow you are handy!
I often see overlocker reels at the oppies... it's worth a search.

Levin March 11, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

i thought about buying my youngest son one of those sewing machines but he seemed more interested in using mine. plus, we have an old basic janome which he can use - so i didn't buy one and now i'm happy i didn't!!
i love that you saved that boy - sometimes it's just what you have to do :)
l
x

bubbachenille March 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

You go girl! Great story, saving the little boy from his " mad" mother ! You'll probably meet her one day and tell the story and she'll end up being your best buddy!

Baino March 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

Very resourceful even with the lurgy. Wish you'd been around when my son came home from school with no pockets on his blazer! Just darker squares where they once had been! Could have clobbered him.

Melanie March 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

Aisha - I will have to get out the yellow pages and hunt these places down

CurlyPops - I have spied them in Oppies now that you mention it. Looks like I have an excuse to hit the Op Shops today:)

Levin - I am glad you stuck with a good Ol' reliable machine because theyre the best to learn on. What was I thinking buying such a throw away piece of junk?

Bubble - Turns out the boy told his mother the truth and she said thank you to my son when she did class reading. All that angst for nothing hehe

Baino - LOL I am picturing the dark patches and the dark looks from any mum to discover them. Boy I would have been cross too. School Blazers cost a fortune!

Watch this!

About This Blog

Support This

Help Me Support This Cause
Widget_logo

Visitors

Super secret test link button

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP