Welcome to my world behind the scenes as I attempt to run a business with no idea what I am doing. I Love comments/ advice/opinions or just a quick G'day so please talk to me. I adore hearing/learning/chatting with you all so every comment is most welcome.!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Homemade dishwashing powder



I have been on a cleaning frenzy lately and because I have developed some weird desire to wash the dishes by hand I didnt realize we were out of dishwashing powder.

What was I to do?
I had dishes everywhere, the 50 plus chicken ornaments needed dusting and my idea of dusting is throw everything waterproof in the dishwasher. And trust me, I have enough knick knacks to fill it up.
I was filthy dirty from cleaning and didnt want to change to go to the store. It was a dilemma I tell you!
So I did what any other modern housewife would do!
I googled  how to make homemade dish washing powder"

A few million pages came up but the recipe was basically the same. I left out borax, essential oils and the ever senseless suggestion to RINSE first. Um NO, how about scrape into a bin, compost or dog dish...... 

After reading a few complaints from folks who found it didnt work, my conclusion was it was their dishwasher.

Basic Recipe 
2 cups of Bicarb Soda
1/4 cup citric Acid
1/4 cup salt

For each load use 1 heaped tablespoon. Put it in your normal tab dispenser.
This mix gives you 2 weeks worth for a large dishwasher and I fill mine to the max with dirty dishes.
 

You can add borax and essential oils and I have made detergents using these before but borax is poison so I stopped storing it long ago.
If you want to add borax just replace 1 cup of bicarb with 1 cup of borax.

For shiny glasses fill your dispenser up with white vinegar.

It cost me 5 bucks to make and it works girls. Its no better or worse than the other stuff off the shelves, it works and its made of natural ingredients.

If your dishwasher isn't working that great then I suggest Googling  "How to clean a dishwasher" and  pull that baby apart.(only if you are confident in doing this step) I did and I was amazed where those scraps my kids never scraped were stored up under the grates, in the blades, everywhere.

Well, now that I have shared that revelation with you I will get back to it. 
Have a great weekend, even if you are doing housework
Cheers
Melanie

4 comments:

Brenda March 6, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

I totaly love the whole idea of making your own, how many washes do you think you'll get out of this mix?

Angie March 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

I'm bookmarking this page as I've been meaning to google the same thing for ages.

Plus I have all the ingredients at hand.

Baino March 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

Awesome because .. after my kitchen flooded due to dishwasher death three years ago, I decided not to install a new one thinking I'd have sold by then . . dardang! So I've been handwashing dishes fort hree freakin' years! I'm a "Morning Fresh" loyalist but the budget demands economy so I'll give it a go . .(acatually I find soaking badly scarred pans in washing powder/soda much better than anything else)

Liesl March 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

Brilliant - I am going to give this a go!

Watch this!

About This Blog

Support This

Help Me Support This Cause
Widget_logo

Visitors

Super secret test link button

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP