Welcome to my world behind the scenes as I attempt to run a business with no idea what I am doing. I Love comments/ advice/opinions or just a quick G'day so please talk to me. I adore hearing/learning/chatting with you all so every comment is most welcome.!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Trash Talk .yeah, im talkin about trash again

OK enough namby pamby stuff about dogs cats and kids. This is Tuesday and its time to talk about trash again.
I have linked some interesting headlines that I have found informative about the "plastic bags" situation and as I type "plastic bag" I hear choking noises in my head and I'm not sure if that's the sound of baby animals suffocating on our waste or myself gagging with my inside voice as I say those two words together, in a sentence......*gag* plastic bag *gag*.

The first article from Haaretz.com makes an old and valid point and this isn't only true for degradable bags. Read

'Degradable' plastic bags are no such thing, claim experts
By Lior Dattel
to find out more

If you think that is disturbing then take a look at this article from The Daily Kos

New report - The effect of plastic on human health and the environment

Mother Nature network has provided some recycling Q & A's for plastic and other waste that you might find interesting. It doesn't have much to do with plastic bags but I really gotta tell ya that barely a sniff of plastic bags ever get recycled and re-using it as a garbage bin liner doesn't deserve any medal does it? I mean really? These are all things to ponder!

That's enough talk about trash and enough trashing of plastic bags. Think happy thoughts!
Hope you are having a fabulous Tuesday.
Cheers
Melanie

5 comments:

Baino July 8, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

Iknow, I know . . but I keep forgetting to take my green bags with me every time I go out. I leave them in the boot usually but after a big shop, forget to put them back. My bad!

littlechrissy July 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Yes I have a friend who thinks using them as bins is recycling. I cannot drum it into her head that she's still just throwing them out, only she's decided to do so by wrapping them around other rubbish.

A'isha July 8, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

oh im terrible for this, i use them a few times though before they hit the bin as a rubbish liner, but when you live in an apartment block with shared bins u dont want them to stink bad and encourage those really disgusting creatures.i do re_use them for work everyday.
But Oz is doing a great job in the environment stakes, go to third world countries and they only recycle if its profitable, and no recycle programs at all. We need to push 1st world countries to assist and educate the 3rd world countries. The amount of rubbish i have seen on the ground every single day in China, in Indonesia and Morocco is so devastating. i shudder every time i see it. if these poorer countries could make money from it, to create jobs it would turn into an industry overnight. At least in Morocco they recycle the plastic bottles for water or detergent, the food scaps that get thrown into the street dumpsters get picked thru and food scraps given to animals. But its a sea of plastic, on road sides and even at the tourist beaches, its very sad, but what can we do as global citizens to change this huge impact? we need to start worrying about everyones backyard coz its going to impact our own.. sooN... sigh...ok enuff im getting off my soap box and going to bed.

Anonymous,  July 8, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

OK Here's what you do. I'm an oooold lady and grew up pre plastic bags. We wrapped everything in newspaper before it went into our kitchen bin which was lined with newspaper. This bin was emptied into our outside bin once it was full. The Age is great for this purpose, being so nice and big. Newspaper rots down, taking rubbish with it. Rubbish can't return to the earth wrapped in plastic. It's easy, when you know your going to make a mess, put paper down first then roll it up in a nice clean parcel. Let fat solidify before wrapping it. Carry a string bag rolled up small in your handbag and put it back when its empty (saves everso many plastic ones) The planet will love you for it. Elsie (bag phobic - much taller up on this soap box.)

A'isha July 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

thank you for that helpful advise it works and solves the mess and any little critters.

Watch this!

About This Blog

Support This

Help Me Support This Cause
Widget_logo

Visitors

Super secret test link button

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP